By passing this Bill, Scotland became the first country in the UK to incorporate the UNCRC into domestic law to ensure that children’s rights are respected and protected by law.
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) is the international agreement between 193 member states of the United Nations and spells out the rights that should be afforded to you.
Your rights under the UNCRC include:
- Right to life and healthcare
- Right to protection from violence, abuse or neglect
- Right to have a say in decisions that affect your life
- Right to education
- Right to information
- Right to privacy
- Right to meet with other young people
- Obligation on the state to act in your best interest